Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Power of a Photograph

Seriously, have you ever thought about photos, and how powerful they can be?  They can evoke serious emotions (sadness, laughter, hunger...).  Yep, I said hunger.

My resolution for 2013 is to make at least one new-to-me recipe per week.  More than likely, those recipes will be made on weekends, because let's face it - cooking for one is a pain in the you-know-where, and doing that on a weeknight is just NOT gonna happen.  Anyway, I was surfing some of the foodie blogs that I've been following lately, and I saw a picture of this one dish, and I thought "That's the one!  That's what I'm going to make this weekend!".   Seriously - check out the photo that caught my eye (and the recipe) on http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2012/11/butternut-squash-coconut-curry-soup/ and you'll understand.

Now - let's be honest - raise your hands if you know what a butternut squash is.  I didn't.  I even had to google it to find out what it looked like so I wouldn't be a doofus in the grocery store.  Pretty brave of me, huh?  Not only trying a new recipe, but trying a new food at the same time?  Yep, I'm patting myself on the back for that one.

The ingredients:  I had to buy the butternut squash, the coconut milk, and the garam masala.  I had everything else.

Prepping the butternut squash:

Squash out of the oven - my house smelled SO GOOD!!

Then I threw everything into the blender like the recipe says.  After that, I put the soup into a saucepan and simmered it for another 15-20 minutes to heat it through and to meld the flavors.  Served it up, drizzled some coconut milk on top, and added a few croutons. (My photo isn't as nice as the Novice Chef - I think I want that VERY pretty bowl that she used, LOL).

The verdict - VERY tasty!  And the soup is nice and thick, the way I like it.  This recipe is going into my recipe book, and WILL be made again.   Thanks for the inspiration, Novice Chef!

No comments:

Post a Comment