Sunday, January 20, 2013

Still going!

I think this is honestly the longest I've stuck with a New Year's Resolution, LOL.  So we have another week, another new-to-me recipe, and (gasp!) another new-to-me food.  What the heck has come over me?

This week, my new-to-me recipe is for breakfast, and comes from Allrecipes.com.  I've never had Steel Cut Oats before.  I love oatmeal, but I knew that this would have a different texture, so I was a little nervous.  Here is the recipe: Slow Cooker Oats.  Yep, oatmeal in a slow cooker.  I wasn't so sure, either.

The ingredients:


I cooked the oatmeal during the day yesterday, mainly because I hope to get more than 8 hours of sleep on the weekends, and I didn't want to wake up to mush.  The house smelled great (hello, cinnamon!).  And when it was done last night, I portioned it out in single servings and put it in the fridge.  This morning, took one out, nuked it in the microwave for under 2 minutes, gave it a stir, and voila! 


I have to admit, I didn't eat it the way it's in the photo.  I like my oatmeal pretty much drowning in milk, so I added a touch more brown sugar, and then surrounded the oats in milk (the strawberries were eaten already at that point, LOL).  Thumbs up from me!  Yes, the texture is different from regular oatmeal.  There is a bit of a bite to it, if you know what I mean.  But now I have easy breakfasts for the week, yay!



1 comment:

  1. Hey Dana,
    I make a recipe very similar, with apples and cinnamon. When you wake up in the morning it smells like an apple pie has been freshly baked! YUM!

    http://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker_Apple_Cinnamon_Oatmeal

    ReplyDelete