Sunday, May 12, 2013

Swiss Steak and Cornbread

Hi everyone!
First off, Happy Mother's Day to my wonderful Mom, and to all of you Moms out there.  I hope you all have had a wonderful day.

This morning, I decided to shop my pantry/cupboards/fridge for this week's new-to-me recipe.  And since I wanted to get caught up on my resolution, I decided to make two recipes again.

The past few days have been rainy and gloomy, so I decided this morning to take the slow cooker out of the cupboard and put it to use.  I've had this Swiss Steak recipe from allrecipes.com bookmarked for a while now, and as I was shopping my pantry, I found steak in the freezer, and everything else was already in my cupboards.  Yay!  Here is the link to the recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grandmas-Slow-Cooker-Swiss-Steak/Detail.aspx


It was ok, I guess.  Kind of bland.  I won't make it again.

The second recipe of the day comes from my friend Lynn (the owner of A Pile of Scrap!).  In January at a scrapbooking crop at the store, we had chili for supper and Lynn made cornbread.  I loved it!  And of course asked for the recipe.  Today is the first time I've made it myself.

 It was delish!  Here is Lynn's recipe:

1 cup flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
2-4 tbs sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1/3 cup veg. oil
2/3 cup milk
Mix together just until all ingredients are combined. Pour in a greased 8x8 square or round pan.
Bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes.

Thanks for the recipe, Lynn - it's a keeper as far as I'm concerned!

No comments:

Post a Comment